place: Medialab Prado · Plaza de las Letras, C/ Alameda, 15 Madrid
This meeting brings together various cultural institutions and software developers to share resources and knowledge related to digital archives and access to stored cultural contents.
The purpose of these meetings is to work on a project with the objective of bringing together various cultural institutions to share resources and knowledge related to handling difficult aspects of managing archives and digital access to cultural contents, with the aim of responding to their needs as entities that provide service to the public.
The most immediate goal is to create a system or platform that enables sharing contents produced by different cultural entities, such that users can access and download in a simple way that is free of charge. This meeting is a continuation of the meeting held on 13 and 14 May 2009 during the Libremeeting in Miraflores de la Sierra (Madrid), where various cultural institutions and software developers gathered to begin talks about the project.
The sessions are fundamentally practical and consist of presentations on specific technical matters and group work among the participating institutions. Even when the sessions are based on work done previously, they are open to the participation of any other institution or person interested in the project.
Wednesday, 7 October
4:30 pm – 8:30 pm: General presentation of the meeting and participants and sharing.
- Ways to collaborate, reasons to collaborate, specific objectives for the meeting and the next steps to take.
- Each of the institutions present explains what it stores in its archives, what it wants or can share and on what conditions, what tools it uses, and the structure of its database and metadata base.
Thursday, 8 October
Working session: application to the archives of the participating institutions
6:00 pm – 8:30 pm: presentations and specific experiences:
- Legal matters: management of intellectual property and image copyright related to archives. Introduction and specific case analysis of Medialab-Prado. Javier de la Cueva.
- The future of video on the Internet. Diego Kuperman (Freekeylabs)
- Free audio/video formats. The case of Hangar: development of the media base. Lluis Gómez
More in Medialab Prado
Friday, 9 October
10:00 am – 2 p.m: Working session and conclusions